Thursday, November 6, 2014

King George Interview

Broken Hearted Whispers is perhaps your best-known single. What does it contribute to your story as an artist and a performer? 


Broken Hearted Whispers is a song written at a time when there were a few people around me going through tough times with relationships (divorce/break ups etc) pretty much at the same time. The song reflects my interpretation of some of these relationships and eventually pushes for the positives. It also reflects the notion that having a broken heart is one the challenges that life throws at you, and every heart is build to break and eventually mend. 


a0233059632_10


Which of your tracks on Love Songs and Medications are your favorites, and what about the efforts make them into favorites?


Its a tough question because my mind changes every day!


At the moment, ‘904′ is perhaps my favourite and maybe one of the more positive tracks on the album. It was written after we played at Toronto’s Indie week 2013. It’s named after the apartment number we stayed in while we were there. 904 reflects the passion i have for music and playing without any regrets. For me its very simple, what do we have to leave behind in life? some people have their photo albums, homes, cars, videos etc , all I can leave behind is the songs I have written that capture who I am and what I’m feeling at the time no matter how good or bad the song, it’s there, locked away and captured in time and available for those who are interested.


What artists possess the greatest influences on your music?


There so many artists! U2, Metallica, Fleetwood Mac, Faith No More, The Killers, Pearl Jam, Depeche Mode (Songs of Faith and Devotion is perhaps one of the greatest and underrated/under appreciated albums of all time!) & more recently Lana Del Rey.


How has your style evolved and changed over the time since you first started playing?


In the early days I definitely was into more of the heavier music and that was reflected in some of my earlier writing. However it really hasn’t changed too much and I try not to force any change of style. I’m definitely influenced by what I’m listening to so my style can slightly shift here and there with out really trying.


Can you describe your creative process and your recording set up for us?


Even though King George is like a solo act on the surface from a recording and live perspective I work closely with two other Australian artists, Michael Makris (Drums ) and Chris Wyatt (guitars). I have a small studio I write demos in and from there I send the songs to both of them to get their opinion and feedback. Even though its my call in the end, I really try to step away from the songs and take in feedback from both of them. I really respect them as musicians and even get a little nervous sending them demo songs as I always want to impress them in some way. Chris and Michael work with me to fulfil the songs potential and I am very blessed to be working with them as well as others I have worked with over the years.


From a recording perspective I have been working with Malcolm Besley who has now been sound engineer for both King George albums. We recorded half this album in a 3 story mansion located in Toorak (a suburb just a few miles out of Melbourne) and the other in an apartment sourced by Malcolm. We really felt comfortable in the environment and it was good to operate outside of a traditional studio and we managed to get a great sound.


How can interested readers listen to your music?


Musically check out: kinggeorge13.bandcamp.com/


or


Visually check out www.youtube.com/KingGeorgeBand/videos


What has been your most memorable live experience?


I have 2 actually. One in playing a support show for Australian artist Jimmy Barnes for a charity in front of 1000 homeless people in Sydney. The other was playing the Hideout in Toronto for Indie week 2013. We had a 1:15am show on a Saturday night and the place went off! Good times!


What goals do you still have left to accomplish in your career?


Musically I feel I have a lot more to contribute and improve on. You never stop learning music until the day you die! I would also love to tour across the USA.


How can individuals find samples from Love Songs and Medications?


www.kinggeorge13.bandcamp.com or visit www.kinggeorge.com.au


Thank you for your time. Do you have anything else that you would like to say to our readers?


I hope you enjoy Love Songs and Medications and thanks for supporting independent music! xoxo