Thursday, April 11, 2013

Sarah Petrella Interview

Hello! Can you introduce yourselves to NeuFutur readers?


Hey Guys! I’m Sarah Petrella. I’m a singer-songwriter from Southern California and I invite you to listen to my music! Music has been apart of my life since I was very very young. Recently this last summer I had the great privilege to work with veteran producer Geza X Gedeon on my latest Ep “Summer”. I recorded here in Los Angeles, with Ben Harper’s rhythm section backing me up. My style is a mix of singer-songwriter pop, with a little rock and roots as well.


What is the progression of a track from your first thoughts to the finished song?


Well, I try to write a lot. My first thoughts about a song are when I have an idea of what type of story I want to tell, and I start to write lyrics that will start to portray and outline the story. But I honestly start a lot of my songs “acapella” while writing lyrics. Then they form into chords and rhythms with my guitar, and then I come up with ideas for other instruments.


How does your 3 song EP represent you?


The EP was a big accomplishment for me. It was an amazing opportunity to work with such talented and successful people, I was really excited about it. I have my originals “Summer” and “Time Stands Still” on the EP, and they both mean a lot to me. Both songs were emotional for me to write and they are about different times of my life. I thought covering the Pearl Jam song “Daughter” took some guts, but I thought I could add another element to the song and a different perspective coming from a female.


How has your style evolved and changed over the time since you began performing?


I have changed so so much as a person and an artist, because I have basically been performing since I was 5 years old. I have done Musical Theatre, Country, Pop, Folk, Rock, and I actually really think having such a diverse history has given me such a strong platform for blending all of these styles and sounds together. I think through some of my songs you can hear different elements and sounds peep out a little, which I love because its part of my personality and who I am.


What genres, styles, or approaches would you like to include on subsequent albums?


I hope to add a little more rock into my future albums while not losing my pop and folk/rootsy elements as well. I grew up with a lot of rock influences, because my father is a musician and has played me all the guitar legends since I was a kid. I love the passion that comes from rock but I love the beauty of folk stringed instruments (fiddle, mandolin, banjo). There is a special place in my heart for folk and country music.


What has been on your MP3 player as of late? How do these songs compare to those of your greatest influences?


Most recently listening to a lot of Jeff Buckley, John Mayer, and Grace Potter right now. I don’t usually listen to just “singles” or songs per artist. When I listen to my music I usually listen to full albums. And I would have to say Grace Potter has been a big influence since I have discovered her within the last year or so. These are all singers and songwriters who have a lot of heart.


Why should individuals pick up your music?


I just want to share it with the world. I think my 3 available tracks right now can be enjoyed by a great range of people. I have my fun and upbeat pop track, my big pop-belt power ballad, and my indie rock cover. I feel like it has a lot to offer to all different types of music lovers.


How have you gotten more of your fans – Facebook / Myspace / Twitter or traditional word of mouth? Have you noticed anything different between these types of fans?


I have started to see a bigger rise through the internet with my fans, mostly through Facebook, and also a lot of internet radio sites. Its great because I can connect with people from all over the world. I have been talking with fans from Israel to Texas, and its really cool! Of course my word of mouth fans seem to be the ones that are able to see me play live because they’re locals! I don’t know how soon I’ll be able to tour Israel, but that would be awesome!


What is the most memorable time that you have had at a live performance? What cities would you still like to play, and where do you think your next tour will take you?


One of the most memorable live performances I have had was probably when I was 15. I was a top 3 finalist in the KSON country showdown at the Viejas Arena, and I had just seen LeAnne Rhymes play there earlier that year. I was just so excited that I was playing on the same stage as such huge artists I couldn’t control myself.


I would love to tour the west coast this summer. Seattle and San Francisco are definitely on the list of cities I would like to perform in, in the near future. Ive also heard amazing things about the music energy in New Orleans and am dying to see that city alive for myself.


How will NeuFutur readers be able to keep abreast of the latest news and music coming from your way?


It is best to like me on Facebook! www.facebook.com/sarahpetrellamusic and we can keep in contact. You can also check out my website at www.sarahpetrella.com You can send me a message and be apart of my email list.


sarah_cd


Just a THANK YOU, for taking the time to read this. Music is my dream and my passion and I just love to get the chance to share it with people.



Sarah Petrella Interview

No comments:

Post a Comment