Saturday, January 17, 2015

Shattrholik Interview

We’re sitting down with Shattrholik. Let’s get right to it – What’s your story? 


I’m born and raised in Wairoa, Hawkes Bay New Zealand. I’m just a typical hard working new zealander making the most of the opportunities overseas. I get along with everyone. I see things from a different angle. Very respectful to others. I’m always happy. I love music – that’s me.



 


1403726852_736071649777002_751074060035621356_n


How did your latest single, Action move from initial thought to finished effort?


Once I’m in the zone it flows like water. Took me around 40 minutes to write the song. Took me 20 minutes to go through it and be happy with the structure of it.


What differences are there between Australia and the USA’s rap scenes?


Very different. I’ve been told I sound American, which is weird because this is my normal voice. I’ve been told to do Australian hip hop music. Why? I am from New Zealand and there is no such thing as Australian hip hop or New Zealand hip hop. There is rap music from a lot of countries . there is one hip hop culture and it’s from America. Why should i imitate an Australian accent just to fit in? If i sound American then those who think hip hop is a genre and not a culture should find another genre to sprinkle glitter on. Rap will always be from America and I will pay homage to them and salute them whenever I can. Just people having their own opinion on rap; a lot of Australians are not a fan of my music because I don’t sound Australian or rap about Australian culture, which I don’t blame them. Most don’t know I’m from New Zealand. I love Australia. but I should be speaking on what I’ve been through in life through my music, not some one else’s life. There are some very talented emcees in Australia that share their life stories. Salute to them, keep it up. both American and Australia culture are very different so the vision and message in the music is different. Americans love my music. would love to move there one day.


1014269_421241157993134_795398860_n


What artists and styles most influence your overall sound?


I like the 90s style. So much emotion in the music. You can believe and relate to the story being shared through the music. It always changes my influences. One day i could be listening to Wu Tang and KRS-one, the next i could be listening to Nas, Jay-Z, Eminem, OutKast, the next 2pac, biggie. the next slaughterhouse, ludacris, 50 cent, game, busta rhymes . the next kerser, forty, david dallas, mareko. it always changes. sometimes other genres ,acdc, rihanna lol. I love music. I’m a student to music. I learn everyday.


How have you evolved since your earliest cuts?


I think I’ve matured with my music. I’m real clean now, like I’m real clear with delivery . Better stories, song structure, I think I’m getting better over time. No limits.


Are there any live dates or events that you will be performing to support Action?


I’m looking into that as i want to go overseas and perform, especially in America. They love my music, no better place to learn more about my genre.


How can interested readers find out more about Shattrholik?


Follow me on twitter, Facebook, and ReverbNation. New music to come.


 


What has provided more of your fans – Facebook / Instagram / Twitter or traditional word of mouth?


 


Facebook


 


Thank you so much for your time. Do you have any final thoughts for us at NeuFutur?


 


Thank you for sharing me with the world.